Doctoral studies at MNF
Doctoral studies at the Faculty of Science (MNF) culminate in the degree of doctor (Dr. sc. nat. – Doctor scientiarium naturalium). They include independent research work (dissertation).
Doctoral studies at MNF
Doctoral studies at MNF culminate in the degree of doctor (Dr. sc. nat. – Doctor scientiarium naturalium). They include independent research work (dissertation). No minimum or maximum length of time has been defined for doctoral studies. Generally these are completed in between three and four years. Concurrently you will also attend the classes required for your subject area.
The regulations for doctoral studies at the MNF can be found here.
Requirements for doctoral studies at MNF
To sign up for doctoral studies, you must have a diploma or MSc degree from MNF or an equivalent degree from a recognized university as well as a supervisor and a supervising faculty member. The supervising faculty member can also be the supervisor.
If you earned your diploma or MSc degree in a subject area other than that in which you want to pursue your doctoral studies, this must be recognized by the Office of the Dean of Studies of MNF, which also holds true if you have an MSc degree or diploma from a non-Swiss university.
Please click here for the doctoral studies registration.
Please click here for the information sheet entitled «Information for Postgraduate Students: Admission for Doctorate Studies» .
Please click here for the information sheet entitled «How to apply for recognition of foreign degrees for a PhD at the Faculty of Science MNF».
Please click here for the application form to have a degree from another subject area or a foreign degree recognized: «Application for the recognition of foreign degrees at the MNF, University of Zurich».
Admission and application
To be admitted to doctoral studies at MNF, proceed as listed below. Please note that the listed administrative procedures also apply to doctoral students registered at one of the MNF Graduate Schools.
- Contact a lecturer form the subject area in which you wish to pursue your doctoral studies. If the lecturer is prepared to advise you during your doctorate, you can submit your application for matriculation to the Student Admissions Office of the University of Zurich. The relevant forms and information sheets can be found in the section entitled "Requirements for doctoral studies at MNF".
- Apply for matriculation: complete the on-line matriculation application form.
- Submit the Confirmation for Doctoral Students you received from your supervisor to the Student Admissions Office of the University of Zurich. The Confirmation for Doctoral Students form can be found here.
- Your matriculation will be processed by the Student Admissions Office of the University of Zurich.
- Use the completed registration form to register at the Office of the Dean of Studies of MNF. The relevant forms and information sheets can be found in the section entitled "Requirements for doctoral studies at MNF".
- The Office of the Dean of Studies of MNF will inform the supervising faculty member on your registration.
- The supervising faculty member will provide the Office of the Dean of Studies of MNF with the names of the members of the promotion committee.
No deadlines must be met in order to register for doctoral studies at MNF. Students should, however, register with the Office of the Dean of Studies of MNF as soon as possible after commencing their doctoral studies, at the latest upon receipt of their student ID number. Please click here to see a graphic depiction of the application and admission process for MNF's doctoral studies (currently in German only).
Mandatory matriculation for doctoral students
Doctoral students must be matriculated at UZH during the entire duration of their doctoral studies. More information can be found here.
Please make note of application deadlines for matriculation.
On the basis of cooperative agreements with universities in France and Italy doctoral students at MNF have the option of working toward a double doctorate. In doing so they earn two doctorates simultaneously, one from the University of Zurich and another from an Italian or French university.
For more information on double doctorates, please click here.
Dissertation and doctoral examination
Once you have completed your dissertation, you must sign up for the doctoral examination at the Office of the Dean of Studies of MNF six to eight weeks prior to your examination. Your dissertation supervisor must have submitted the form with the doctoral examination date to the Office of the Dean of Studies of MNF at least four weeks prior to the examination.
Please click here for the registration for the doctoral examination
Click here for the information sheet entitled "Information Leaflet for Postgraduate Students: Doctorate Examination".
Please click here to see the graphic depiction of the registration process for the doctoral examination (currently in German only).
Steps that follow the doctoral examination are listed below:
- The dissertation and examination are validated by the Assembly of the Faculty of Science.
- You will obtain an invitation to the doctoral ceremony.
- You must deliver the mandatory number of copies of your dissertation to the “Central Library” (Zentralbibliothek) within one year’s time from the validation date.
- You will receive your doctoral certificate once this has been approved by the supervising faculty member.
You can find information regarding the submission of electronic dissertations to the “Central Library” on the Zentralbibliothek Zürich Homepage.
MD PhD program for graduates of medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine
The MD PhD program at MNF gives graduates of medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine the opportunity to complete a second degree program which culminates in the degree of doctor in natural science (Dr. sc. nat.).
Please click here for further information (currently in German only).