What do I have to remember during the semester enrollment procedure?

Semester enrollment takes place in the second half of May for the following fall semester, and in the second half of November for the following spring semester. It's particularly important in the case of new study programs running under the major/minor system to choose a combination of major and minor study program earning a total of 180 ECTS credits (e.g. major 120 + minor 30 + minor 30, or major 180). You can change the combination of programs at each semester enrollment. However, it's extremely important to make sure that your enrollment for a combination of major and minor study programs) is precisely right in the semester in which you intend to graduate. If this is not the case you will not be able to graduate, and you will have to notify the University Student Administration Office to have the problem remedied. This can lead to delays, and in the worst case could extend your studies by a semester. If you do not want to change your enrollment for the following semester no active enrollment is required.

It's also important to note that credits for a minor study program at another faculty, particularly the Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Informatics, will only count toward a minor if you are enrolled for the minor in question. Minors at other faculties are subject to the other faculty's regulations.
We recommend doing semester enrollment as quickly as possible and paying the invoice for your semester fees immediately. If there are delays, you run the risk of not being able to book any modules in that particular booking period.

How do I switch from a Bachelor's to a Master's Study Program?

Because semester enrollment for the following semester takes place before the results for the current semester's modules are known, you have to assess for yourself whether you're going to be able to graduate with your Bachelor's degree in the current semester or not.

If you're not sure whether your outstanding ECTS credits will be sufficient, you can enroll for the Master's study program by applying for a change of degree program for the following semester when you do your online semester enrollment. If you're not sure, it's best to leave your enrollment for the Bachelor's degree program for the next semester. You don't have to worry about any negative consequences. If you don't manage to graduate for your Bachelor's after all, or this isn't entered in your record by the end of the fourth week of lectures the following semester, the University Student Administration Office will automatically reassign you to the Bachelor's degree program. If, on the other hand, you're still enrolled as a Bachelor's student but have fulfilled all the course requirements for graduation, you can still continue to study normally and start the modules for a Master's degree. You're allowed to transfer up to 30 ECTS credits from a Bachelor's to a Master's degree provided these credits are eligible for transfer and were not required for your Bachelor's degree. Whatever the case, you can only start your Master's thesis once you have completed your Bachelor's.

How do I apply to graduate?

You can apply to graduate online in StudentAdmin https://studentadmin.mnf.uzh.ch/.

Applications to graduate can be submitted any time provided all the necessary credits are entered in your online summary of credits.
Applications to graduate are validated by the Faculty of Science Committee for Student Affairs every month on the first working day; your graduation documents will bear the date of the validation at which this took place. We must receive applications to graduate by 1 week before a validation so that they can be put on the agenda of the committee's next meeting. If you have a minor of a different Faculty than MNF, the deadline is 2 weeks.

If you do not continue studying at UZH after you graduate with your Bachelor's degree, or if you have completed your Master's degree, you no longer have to matriculate for the following semester if you have completed all course requirements, including submitting your Master's thesis and taking your Master's exam by the beginning of the lecture period the following semester. If you can't make this deadline you must enroll for a further semester. Once your application to graduate has been processed you'll automatically receive a provisional confirmation. Depending on when you submit your application to graduate it may take several weeks before you received your graduation documents.

When do module and repeat exams take place?

Exams for fall semester modules take place in calendar weeks 51 and 2 to 6. Exams for spring semester modules take place in calendar weeks 22 to 28. Repeat exams are not tied to an exam period. However, they generally take place in calendar weeks 35, 36, and 37.
You'll find the exam schedule and information on the written exams for lower-level modules for all study programs here.
The exam schedule for the next two semesters, including repeat exams, is published in early summer.

Information on exams and assessments for modules in later semesters can be found in the online course catalogue.or on the homepage of the subject in question, or will be announced by the instructor responsible at the beginning of the course.

Exams for modules from other faculties of the University are held in the exam periods for the modules from the other faculty, which may differ from those of the Faculty of Science. This also applies to exams for learning units at ETH Zurich, which also holds its exam sessions in January/February and August. To avoid conflicts, find out as soon as possible about the exam dates for the modules you have booked, particularly if you're doing modules from different years of study in the same semester.

Where can I find the deadlines for booking modules?

The process for booking modules for the fall semester begins around the second week of August. You can start booking modules for the spring semester from the second week in January. The precise dates for registering and deregistering are specified for each module in the online course catalogue.

For regular courses extending over the whole semester, the deadline for registering is generally the Sunday of the third week of the lecture period. You can deregister up to the Sunday of the tenth week of the lecture period. For other modules special deadlines apply. Please note: the deadline for registering for certain modules is earlier, namely the Sunday a week before lectures begin. Make sure to consult the online course catalogue in good time to find out the precise deadlines for registering and deregistering for the modules you want to attend. The published registration and deregistration deadlines are binding.

You'll find the deadlines for booking block courses in biology on the biology home page.
If a module can't be booked online you'll find details of how and where to register in the online course catalogue.

I'm unable to take an exam because of illness. What should I do?

If you are ill on the day of the examination must submit an application for cancellation within 5 working days of the examination and attach a medical certificate. Applications are made through the Studyportal. Log in and select the tile "My Applications" and there "Unsubscribe from the module assessment“. Follow the instructions, enter all necessary information and upload the medical certificate and/or other documents in pdf format (max. 20 MB). You can see the status of your application in the Studyportal.
If you were invited directly by the department offering the exam, for example an oral mathematics exam, please also notify the office that sent the invitation. You can also do so by e-mail.
If you were ill on an initial exam date, you can take the exam on the repetition date, if one is offered. You have to sign up for this. You will receive a notification and a registration form. Notifications will be sent out at the beginning of March for the module exams of the fall semester and in the second half of July for the module exams of the spring semester. If you do not want to do the exam on the repetition date, you will have to re-book the module yourself when it is next offered.


When do I get my transcript of records?

The transcript of record for the students of the Faculty of Science are generated around the third week of March and the third week of October. The transcripts are available online on the Student Portal These dates have been chosen so that Faculty of Science students' transcripts include the results of Faculty of Science module exams. In some cases transcripts for students at other faculties are printed and sent out earlier than this. This means that these transcripts may not include the results of Faculty of Science modules. In this case, please only contact the Student Affairs Office if your results don't appear in your online summary of credits at the end of March or end of October respectively. If the results that are missing in your transcript of records are visible in the online summary, they will be included in the next printed transcript of records.

I want to do a course at ETH

If you want or have to do a learning unit at ETH Zurich, you must register with ETH as a special student. You can do this online at www.mystudies.ethz.ch. Each registration is valid for a semester. Once you register you'll receive login data for the ETH system, and will be able do learning units and register for exams. After final course allocation, students who have booked block courses in biology on the joint UZH/ETHZ system must likewise register at ETH, and register online for the relevant courses. Registration is free of charge for University of Zurich students. The deadline for registration is the end of the second week of the lecture period. You'll find more information on the ETH website at www.mystudies.ethz.ch.

If you've registered correctly as a special student with ETH Zurich, the results of the learning units you have attended there will be automatically sent to the University of Zurich. Once results have been signed off by the ETH it takes a few days before the results appear in your online summary of credits.

I want to do a course at the Language Center of the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich

In principle, credit points from language courses offered by the language center can be credited as independent electives for Bachelor's and Master's degree programs. The number of ECTS credits transferred varies from subject to subject. You'll find more information in the guidelines for each subject or from the academic advisor responsible.

To enable credits from language courses to be transferred, please submit a copy of the certificate from the language center to the Faculty of Science Student Affairs Office, either at the counter or by post. Don't forget to note your matriculation number on the copy of the certificate. From May 2016, grades for language courses will be credited automatically and included in your online summary of credits within a matter of days. and you will no longer have to submit a copy of the course confirmation to the Student Affairs Office.

Studying and Military Service

A fact sheet is available containing general information on coordinating your studies with recruit school: see Military service. If you're called up for reserve duty during the lecture period, or if reserve duty coincides with your exams or exam preparation, you can submit a written request for deferral of military service. The fact sheet contains details of how to proceed. The procedure for alternative (civil) service is similar; the only difference is that no form is available, and you must write a written application yourself and then proceed as described on the fact sheet.